Check out all of the community events going on at the Senior Activity Center and throughout Central Vermont. Events are updated monthly, so please check back for new events. And make sure to follow our social media pages for weekly events.
- Creative Aging Celebration | Friday, June 2nd | 2:30 - 7:30 pm | VCFA, 36 College St., Montpelier
- This free community event, held at the Vermont College of Fine Arts (VCFA) during Montpelier's Art Walk, will feature an open gallery exhibit of creative work by older artists in Central Vermont plus fun live workshops and creative activities. Treats and drinks will be available by donation. Live workshops and activities will include: a participatory collage project, a writing workshop, a painting activity, an Ageless Grace program, live music with sing along, an ageism awareness activity, and an opportunity to record legacy stories. This event is made possible by the Vermont Arts Council and support from local businesses and partners. This is a free event. No tickets required! (Donations are greatly appreciated.) More information (including parking map) and schedule: www.cvcoa.org/creative-aging-celebration.
- The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe from Staged Poetry Reading Group | Saturday, June 3rd | MSAC Community Room
- A staged reading of “The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe” will be performed in the MSAC Community Room at 1pm on Saturday, June 3. This wise and witty script, originally made famous by Lily Tomlin in the 1990s, has been in rehearsal this spring under the direction of Joanne Greenberg and the troupe is excited to show you the results. Great entertainment at no charge!
- MSAC Trip! North Branch Cascades Walk | Monday, June 5th | 1-4pm | Cost: $10
- Join us on a walk by the river at the North Branch Cascades on Monday, June 5th. The Cascades is a remarkable 1 mile stretch along the North Branch of the Winooski River beside Route 12. It is characterized by stunning cascading waterfalls. There are also six stone stairways to provide easy access to the river. We will travel in the Community Services Van and leave from the Department of Labor parking lot at 1PM returning at about 4PM. Rain date will be Thursday, June 8th.
- Taking the Mystery out of Shifting [Adult Bike Lessons] | Tuesday, June 6th | 5:30-7pm | Memorial Room, City Hall, Montpelier
- How do you know when to shift? What are some tips for biking uphill and downhill? What is a derailleur and how does it work? Why is it important to lubricate a chain and how do you do it? This session will address all of these questions and more. Classroom time will be followed by an optional, guided bicycle ride. Advance registration is required. To register, please email instructor Nancy Schulz: SaddleShoes2@gmail.com.
- LGBTQ Poetry Reading | Wednesday, June 7th | 6-8 PM | Kellogg-Hubbard Library
- Linda Quinlan and Robyn Joy host a poetry reading for Pride Month. This is a free, in-person event in the Hayes Room of the Kellogg-Hubbard Library.
- Building an Emergency Shelter Community to Address Homelessness | Wednesday, June 7 | 6:30 – 8:00pm | Kellogg Hubbard Library
- Please join us to learn how the City of Burlington developed the 30-unit Elmwood Emergency Shelter Community which is located in downtown Burlington and is part of the Mayor’s 10-Point Plan to Fulfill the Promise of Housing as a Human Right. Representatives from the project team will provide details on timeline, permitting, costs, and construction, as well as an account of the first three months of shelter operations: their guest selection process, services provided, early challenges, and successes to date. This event will be live-streamed and filmed by ORCA Media. Presented by the Montpelier Homelessness Task Force.
- Open House and Survivor Art Show | Thursday, June 8th | 4:30-6:30pm | Mosaic VT, 4 Cottage St, Barre
- Come to Mosaic Vermont to meet staff and board members! Learn about all the different ways you can get involved to help end sexual violence and heal communities! Join us in viewing a gallery of survivor art and meet the artist, Pat Harrington! Mosaic Vermont will be celebrating a new tile in our mosaic of programs. Join us for a special announcement as we begin a new era of holistic prevention work in central Vermont! Come to 4 Cottage St, Barre, VT 05641 at 4:30pm and learn how you can help! Contact Mosaic Vermont at 802-476-1388, email@example.com, mosaic-vt.org for more information.
- Barre Pride Fest | Saturday, June 10 | 10am - 2pm | Barre City Hall Park
- Join Barre in their annual Pride Fest! 10am-2pm at the City Hall Park in downtown Barre. 10-1-community and resource tablers 1-2pm Drag Queen story hour. There will be a bake sale, family activities, pride bicycle ride, and more! All proceeds benefit Camp Outright. Learn more at: www.outrightvt.org. For more event info, call: 802-839-9504.
- Is an E-Bike Right for You? [Adult Bike Lessons] | Tuesday, June 13th | 5:30-7pm | Memorial Room, City Hall, Montpelier
- E-bikes come in many varieties. Some factors to consider before purchasing one include: price, weight, style of frame, amount of power, fit, availability and requirements for transport. Find out the pros and cons of various makes and models as you consider which may be most appropriate for you. Classroom time will be followed by an optional, guided bicycle ride. The bike ride will be suitable for both e-bikes and non. Advance registration is required. To register, please email instructor Nancy Schulz: SaddleShoes2@gmail.com.
- MSAC Trip! Eshqua Bog & Bookstock | Friday, June 23rd | 9am-3pm | Cost: $10
- This is the first day of Bookstock with 50 speakers, exhibits and an amazing book sale on the green! A lovely walk in the Eshqua Bog just outside of Woodstock, Vermont at a time of year that it should be covered with blooming Lady Slippers. We will drive to downtown Woodstock, a beautiful town, where you may purchase lunch at the Woodstock Inn. Includes transportation by Community Services' Do Good van.
- MSAC Trip! Shelburne Museum | Wednesday, July 12th | 9:30am-3pm | Cost: $28
- CHANGE: We have changed this trip to the smaller MSAC bus and the price has also changed. Join us for a trip to Shelburne Museum on Wednesday, July 12, 2023. We will leave from the parking lot behind the department of labor, leaving at 9:30AM and returning by 3PM. The price for transportation and admission is $28.
- Camp Mosaic: A Summer Retreat Experience for Youth aged 12-18
- Mosaic Vermont is proud to offer an amazing FREE summer retreat experience for youth between 7th and 12th grade! Can you think of a youth that would enjoy creating conversations about healthy relationships, consent culture, and boundaries? This summer, we want to give youth the opportunity to participate with us for a week full of fun while also engaging in conversations around important societal issues. There are two options for our summer retreats!
- There are two options for our summer retreats! The first week is for youth entering 7th-9th grade during the week of June 26th - June 30th. The camp will be 9:00 am to 4:00 pm daily (3:30 end on Friday). Lunch and snacks are provided. The camp is located at the Plainfield Friends Meeting House at 203 Martin Meadow Rd, Plainfield, VT 05667. Transportation may be available.
- The second week is for youth entering 10th-12th grade during the week of July 10th - July 14th. The camp will be 9:00 am to 4:00 pm daily (3:30 end on Friday). Lunch and snacks are provided. The camp is located at the Plainfield Friends Meeting House at 203 Martin Meadow Rd, Plainfield, VT 05667. Transportation may be available.
- Download the summer day camp forms for Grades 7-9, Grades 10-12, and the registration form here. If you have any other questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kellogg-Hubbard Library
- COOLING STATION Throughout July and August, cool off in the air conditioned Hayes Room weekdays from 10 am – 5 pm, and Saturdays from 10 am – 2 pm. Please note the rest of the Library does not currently have air conditioning.
- ADULT SUMMER READING CHALLENGE The adult summer reading challenge is here! Download a copy on our website, or pick one up at the main circulation desk. Children aren't the only ones who get to set reading goals and win prizes! Happy summer reading. https://www.kellogghubbard.org/adult-programs.
- SUMMER READING 2023 – ALL TOGETHER NOW Sign up for Summer Reading 2023! If you haven't signed up for Summer Reading before, it's a fantastic way to get kids and teens to read. You can register in person or online beginning June 10th, and keep track of your child's reading throughout the summer months with a reading log and bingo card. Turn in your completed logs and bingo cards to be entered for fantastic prizes. Contact the Children's Library if you have any questions.
- TEEN HASHTAG CONTEST –JUNE 10 – JULY 10 Are you between the aged of 13 - 18? Win a $30 Dunkin gift card by creating an Instagram reel highlighting your favorites at KHL. Use #KHLteens to be entered into a drawing to win. This contest runs between June 10th - July 10th. Tag @kellogghubbard, and share with your friends for additional entries.
- CHILDREN'S PROGRAMS - https://www.kellogghubbard.org/youth-programs
- POKÉMON CLUB – MONDAYS IN JULY, 3:30 – 5:00 PM Calling all Pokémon enthusiasts. Bring your cards to the children's library to play and trade.
- STORYTIME – TUESDAYS IN JULY, 10:30 AM Join us on the library lawn for lots of stories, songs, and lots of silliness!
- CHESS CLUB – WEDNESDAYS IN JULY, 3:30 – 5:00 PM Robert teaches chess at all levels. Chess sets are also available for individual play.
- SING-A-LONG WITH JOLYNDA BURTON – WEDNESDAY, JULY 12, 10:30 AM
Jolynda Burton sings a variety of songs that will get you clapping, dancing, and asking for more!
- YOUNG ADULT PROGRAMS - https://www.kellogghubbard.org/young-adult-programs
- SHAKESPEARE NIGHT – MONDAY, JULY 10, 6 – 8 PM Join Nicole in a reading of selections from Shakespeare's plays. Open anyone who loves Shakespeare, ages 13 & up.
- KHL HITS THE ROAD! WORCESTER STORYWALK® – JULY 2 – JULY 8 Take a walk around the Camp Meade grounds and follow the Storywalk® for "Marsh Music" by Marianne Berkes.
- MAPLE CORNER STORE, CALAIS – TUESDAY, JULY 11, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM Join the library for a fun crafternoon! Decorate kindness rocks to bring home and make hands out of cardstock that will become a part of our, "We are KHL" display in the Children's room at the library.
- ART EXHIBITS AT THE LIBRARY: KITZMILLER ROOM Throughout July, you can visit the Kitzmiller Fiction Room to see an exhibit by Clare Dean. Her exhibit 'Clare Dean. First Years in Calais' reflect her first impressions of the state, in both subject matter, and the mood she evokes in her paintings. Many of her pieces exhibited are for sale and she accepts commissions. Clare paints and draws portraits, landscapes, and animals in oil, ink on paper, and pen on paper.
- CHILDREN'S LIBRARY The artwork in the Children's library is from Kazakhstan. Students were given the prompt "The Ideal House." Pieces vary from whimsical to elegant.
- QUESTIONS If you have a question about a library event or service, please email email@example.com.
- Calling all artists! thespians! creators and collaborators! Vermont Village Theater has a new workshop coming up this Spring: There are two, all ages, Storytelling Theater Workshop series offerings -- each are 4 weeks long ending in a showcase performance.
- Sunday afternoons, 1-3pm in Montpelier starting May 7th AND Wednesday nights, 5-7pm in Worcester starting May 10th.
- For more information and to register for the series, sign up using the links above!
- We would love to have you join us in making magic and art. It's going to be collaborative, fun and playful – we're excited to experiment with fun costumes, wild props and to create something wholly new and fresh -- it is whatever we will make of it!
- Please spread the word if you know of anyone who might be interested in this gathering of artistic collaborators! Registration for the workshops will stay open all the way up to the start of the first class. Vermont Village Theater is a project started by Mollie McElroy. Follow her at: https://www.instagram.com/vtvillagetheater/