Check out all of the community events going on at the Senior Activity Center and throughout Central Vermont. Events are updated monthly, so please check back for new events. And make sure to follow our social media pages for weekly events.
- Creative Aging Celebration | Friday, June 2nd | 2:30 - 7:30 pm | VCFA, 36 College St., Montpelier
- This free community event, held at the Vermont College of Fine Arts (VCFA) during Montpelier's Art Walk, will feature an open gallery exhibit of creative work by older artists in Central Vermont plus fun live workshops and creative activities. Treats and drinks will be available by donation. Live workshops and activities will include: a participatory collage project, a writing workshop, a painting activity, an Ageless Grace program, live music with sing along, an ageism awareness activity, and an opportunity to record legacy stories. This event is made possible by the Vermont Arts Council and support from local businesses and partners. This is a free event. No tickets required! (Donations are greatly appreciated.) More information (including parking map) and schedule: www.cvcoa.org/creative-aging-celebration.
- The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe from Staged Poetry Reading Group | Saturday, June 3rd | MSAC Community Room
- A staged reading of “The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe” will be performed in the MSAC Community Room at 1pm on Saturday, June 3. This wise and witty script, originally made famous by Lily Tomlin in the 1990s, has been in rehearsal this spring under the direction of Joanne Greenberg and the troupe is excited to show you the results. Great entertainment at no charge!
- MSAC Trip! North Branch Cascades Walk | Monday, June 5th | 1-4pm | Cost: $10
- Join us on a walk by the river at the North Branch Cascades on Monday, June 5th. The Cascades is a remarkable 1 mile stretch along the North Branch of the Winooski River beside Route 12. It is characterized by stunning cascading waterfalls. There are also six stone stairways to provide easy access to the river. We will travel in the Community Services Van and leave from the Department of Labor parking lot at 1PM returning at about 4PM. Rain date will be Thursday, June 8th.
- Taking the Mystery out of Shifting [Adult Bike Lessons] | Tuesday, June 6th | 5:30-7pm | Memorial Room, City Hall, Montpelier
- How do you know when to shift? What are some tips for biking uphill and downhill? What is a derailleur and how does it work? Why is it important to lubricate a chain and how do you do it? This session will address all of these questions and more. Classroom time will be followed by an optional, guided bicycle ride. Advance registration is required. To register, please email instructor Nancy Schulz: SaddleShoes2@gmail.com.
- LGBTQ Poetry Reading | Wednesday, June 7th | 6-8 PM | Kellogg-Hubbard Library
- Linda Quinlan and Robyn Joy host a poetry reading for Pride Month. This is a free, in-person event in the Hayes Room of the Kellogg-Hubbard Library.
- Building an Emergency Shelter Community to Address Homelessness | Wednesday, June 7 | 6:30 – 8:00pm | Kellogg Hubbard Library
- Please join us to learn how the City of Burlington developed the 30-unit Elmwood Emergency Shelter Community which is located in downtown Burlington and is part of the Mayor’s 10-Point Plan to Fulfill the Promise of Housing as a Human Right. Representatives from the project team will provide details on timeline, permitting, costs, and construction, as well as an account of the first three months of shelter operations: their guest selection process, services provided, early challenges, and successes to date. This event will be live-streamed and filmed by ORCA Media. Presented by the Montpelier Homelessness Task Force.
- Open House and Survivor Art Show | Thursday, June 8th | 4:30-6:30pm | Mosaic VT, 4 Cottage St, Barre
- Come to Mosaic Vermont to meet staff and board members! Learn about all the different ways you can get involved to help end sexual violence and heal communities! Join us in viewing a gallery of survivor art and meet the artist, Pat Harrington! Mosaic Vermont will be celebrating a new tile in our mosaic of programs. Join us for a special announcement as we begin a new era of holistic prevention work in central Vermont! Come to 4 Cottage St, Barre, VT 05641 at 4:30pm and learn how you can help! Contact Mosaic Vermont at 802-476-1388, email@example.com, mosaic-vt.org for more information.
- Barre Pride Fest | Saturday, June 10 | 10am - 2pm | Barre City Hall Park
- Join Barre in their annual Pride Fest! 10am-2pm at the City Hall Park in downtown Barre. 10-1-community and resource tablers 1-2pm Drag Queen story hour. There will be a bake sale, family activities, pride bicycle ride, and more! All proceeds benefit Camp Outright. Learn more at: www.outrightvt.org. For more event info, call: 802-839-9504.
- Is an E-Bike Right for You? [Adult Bike Lessons] | Tuesday, June 13th | 5:30-7pm | Memorial Room, City Hall, Montpelier
- E-bikes come in many varieties. Some factors to consider before purchasing one include: price, weight, style of frame, amount of power, fit, availability and requirements for transport. Find out the pros and cons of various makes and models as you consider which may be most appropriate for you. Classroom time will be followed by an optional, guided bicycle ride. The bike ride will be suitable for both e-bikes and non. Advance registration is required. To register, please email instructor Nancy Schulz: SaddleShoes2@gmail.com.
- MSAC Trip! Eshqua Bog & Bookstock | Friday, June 23rd | 9am-3pm | Cost: $10
- This is the first day of Bookstock with 50 speakers, exhibits and an amazing book sale on the green! A lovely walk in the Eshqua Bog just outside of Woodstock, Vermont at a time of year that it should be covered with blooming Lady Slippers. We will drive to downtown Woodstock, a beautiful town, where you may purchase lunch at the Woodstock Inn. Includes transportation by Community Services' Do Good van.
- MSAC Trip! Shelburne Museum | Wednesday, July 12th | 9:30am-3pm | Cost: $28
- CHANGE: We have changed this trip to the smaller MSAC bus and the price has also changed. Join us for a trip to Shelburne Museum on Wednesday, July 12, 2023. We will leave from the parking lot behind the department of labor, leaving at 9:30AM and returning by 3PM. The price for transportation and admission is $28.
- Mayfest is going on now! Go to Montpelier Alive's website to see all events this month: https://www.montpelieralive.com/mayfest.
- Calling all artists! thespians! creators and collaborators! Vermont Village Theater has a new workshop coming up this Spring: There are two, all ages, Storytelling Theater Workshop series offerings -- each are 4 weeks long ending in a showcase performance.
- Sunday afternoons, 1-3pm in Montpelier starting May 7th AND Wednesday nights, 5-7pm in Worcester starting May 10th.
- For more information and to register for the series, sign up using the links above!
- We would love to have you join us in making magic and art. It's going to be collaborative, fun and playful – we're excited to experiment with fun costumes, wild props and to create something wholly new and fresh -- it is whatever we will make of it!
- Please spread the word if you know of anyone who might be interested in this gathering of artistic collaborators! Registration for the workshops will stay open all the way up to the start of the first class. Vermont Village Theater is a project started by Mollie McElroy. Follow her at: https://www.instagram.com/vtvillagetheater/