City Clerk

The City Clerk’s office is responsible for the administration of all elections, maintaining land records and vital records, marriage, business and dog licenses, archives many city records, and provides Green Mountain Passports (state park passes). The clerk acts as the secretary of the city council and coordinates the Boards of Civil Authority and Abatement. 

To make an appointment for wheelchair accessible access to the land records system, please email John at


Information on tax abatement

A request for tax abatement (see menu option to left for details) may be made at anytime to the Board of Abatement through the City Clerk. Click below for an application form that also lists the criteria under which you can legally qualify for abatement.

Abatement application form

Montpelier voting gear now available!!!! 

Everything is sold at cost only - no money is being made.

Show your voting pride!!!