- Planning & Community Development
- Building Permits
No building addition or building system may be erected, installed, renovated, altered, demolished or moved prior to the submission of a complete building permit application to the Building Department and the issuance of a building permit by the Building Inspector. This includes but is not limited to the installation of new heating equipment, new electrical equipment, new gypsum wall board, and new solar panels.
You will need a Building Permit for...
- For new construction, alterations, renovations, additions, or demolition of buildings
- Fit up for a New Tenant
- Whenever new equipment is installed in a building
- Example: installation of a new boiler
- Example: installation of new fire protection systems
- Whenever a building changes uses
- Example: a business office becomes a mercantile
- Example: a single family, owner occupied home becomes a rental
- Whenever a place of assembly, which holds more than 50 people, changes ownership or increases the occupant load
- For the erection of a temporary structure for public use such as a tent over 1200 square feet, grandstands, or bleachers
- Conducting a hazardous process such as flammable liquid spraying, explosives storage and manufacturing, and flammable liquid storage.
This list is not all inclusive. Please contact the Montpelier Building Inspector for a determination if your specific project requires a permit.
Building Permit Exceptions
Building permits are not required for routine maintenance and minor repairs, as determined by the Building Inspector. Please contact the Building Inspector to determine if your project requires a permit. Your project may also require Zoning approval, please check with the Department of Planning and Community Development.
Please see the City of Montpelier Ordinance Chapter 4 (PDF) for complete wording.
Building Permits Application forms
- 2017 Development permit For EVERY project.pdf
- 2017 Building Permit attachment Basic.pdf
- 2017 Building Permit Attachemnt Long form.pdf
- Certification of Work Completed - Request for Final Inspection- 2022 (PDF)
- Building Permit Information (PDF)
- City of Montpelier Ordinance Chapter 4 (PDF)
- Fire Alarm and Sprinkler application (PDF)
- Sprinkler Tax Credit A (PDF)
- Tent Permit Application (PDF)